The current children's rehabilitation service landscape in Ontario is complex. Durham District School Board (DDSB) continues to work with community partners to support students who require Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Speech Therapy.
In Ontario schools Occupational Therapy (OT), Physiotherapy (PT) and Speech Therapy services are provided by contracted service agencies. Beginning January 1, 2019, the way these contracts are managed will be changing. There will be no changes to the eligibility for service or the amount of service available to school age children.
As of January 1, 2019, Grandview Children's Centre will be responsible to:
- manage the contracts for these services provided in Publicly Funded schools;
- receive and process referrals from school boards for these services;
- The Central East Local Health Integration Network and their Care Coordinators will no longer be involved in the management of occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy services in publicly funded schools. Nursing and personal support worker services at school will however, continue to be provided by the Central East Local Health Integration Network.
There will be no changes to the following:
- school boards will continue to make referrals for OT, PT, Speech Therapy services for eligible children;
- eligibility for service remains unchanged;
- the waitlist remains the same, but is now overseen by Grandview Children's Centre;
- the amount of therapy available from these agencies will remain the same;
- nursing and personal support worker services at school will still be provided by the Central East Local Health Integration Network;
- Speech and Language services currently provided by the school board Speech Language Pathologists will remain unchanged; and
- any other services that children and youth currently receive from Grandview Children's Centre will stay the same.
For on-going updates, please visit www.grandviewkids.ca